- Complete Eye Care
- Coughs Colds & Flu
- General Health
- Pain Relief
- Quit Smoking Aids
If you'd like to be notified about new products or great deals, head to our newsletter page
EpiPen Adrenaline Injection Syringe Auto-Injector (for Anaphylaxis)
Sodium Chloride 1.8mg, Sodium Metabisulfite, Hydrochloric Acid to adjust pH, water.
EpiPen Adrenaline Injection Syringe Auto-Injector is used to treat allergic emergencies (Anaphylaxis). Anaphylactic shock is a potentially life-threatening condition where a severe allergic reaction affects most of the body. This can include the involuntary, or “smooth”, muscle tissue in the lungs and the gastrointestinal system contracting, resulting in dangerous hypotension (low blood pressure) and stomach pains, vasodilation (dilation of blood vessel walls), and tachycardia (increased heart rate). EpiPen is a pre-filled auto-injection syringe that can be self-administered in an emergency to provide the adrenaline, also known as epinephrine, the body needs in this situation. The EpiPen auto-injector delivers a single intramuscular dose containing 300 mcg of adrenaline in 0.3ml (1:1000 USP). The EpiPen Jr. auto-injector delivers a single intramuscular dose containing 150mcg of adrenaline in 0.3ml (1:2000 USP).
Instructions for Use
The needle is not visible in the EpiPen before use. Carefully read the product instructions so that you are prepared prior to an emergency situation. To administer a dose, make a fist around the auto-injector and place the black end of the EpiPen on the upper outer thigh, at a 90° angle, perpendicular to the leg. Remove the grey safety cap from the end of the auto-injector. Now jab the EpiPen firmly into the thigh, activating the auto-injector mechanism. You will hear a click and feel a pinprick as the needle enters, delivering adrenaline into the muscle. Hold the device in position for several seconds before withdrawing it from the thigh. Dispose of the auto-injector carefully, ensuring that you do not to touch the needle now it is exposed. Massage the injection area for about 10 seconds.
- EpiPen is designed to be used by adults. Children who weigh between 15kg and 30kg should the use EpiPen Jr. EpiPen is for emergency use only and contains one dose of adrenaline. The auto-injection needle is not visible until the mechanism in the EpiPen has fired. Each EpiPen must be used only once and should be carefully discarded after use, even though as much as 90% of the liquid remains in the auto-injector. EpiPen is designed as emergency supportive therapy only and is not a replacement or substitute for subsequent medical or hospital care.
Warnings and Cautions
- EpiPen is intended to be used in emergency situations so any warnings or cautions are considered relative
- EpiPen is for intramuscular use only. Do not inject intravenously as this may result in cerebral haemorrhage caused by the sharp rise in blood pressure
- EpiPen should be used with caution if you have high blood pressure (hypertension), thyroid problems, or narrow-angle glaucoma (high blood pressure in the eye)
- Caution is also required when EpiPen is used by someone with diabetes, heart disease, brain damage or is under general anaesthetic
- EpiPen contains no latex
- Consult with your doctor or pharmacist if you have had an allergic reaction to sodium metabisulfite or any other ingredient of EpiPen
- Possible temporary side effects of this medication may include dizziness, weakness, headache, tremor, nausea, restlessness and sleeplessness
- Keep EpiPen in a cool, dry place. Do not refrigerate. Store below 25°C/75°F. Protect from direct sunlight. Do not use EpiPen if the solution turns brown or turns cloudy.
EpiPen is a pharmacist only medicine. EpiPen is a registered trademark of E. Merck, Darmstadt, Germany (parent company of EM Industries, Inc.) and distributed in New Zealand by CSL (NZ) Limited, Auckland.
If you are currently taking other medications, have other medical conditions, you may be pregnant, or you are breastfeeding, please contact us to talk to a pharmacist.
EpiPen Adult - 300mcg injectable dose
EpiPen Junior - 150mcg injectable dose