- Complete Eye Care
- Coughs Colds & Flu
- General Health
- Pain Relief
- Quit Smoking Aids
If you'd like to be notified about new products or great deals, head to our newsletter page
Atrovent Nasal 0.03% Aqueous Spray
Unfortunately Atrovent Nasal Spray is currently unavailable. Please see Apo-Ipravent Nasal Spray as an alternative.
Ipratropium Bromide 21mcg/spray.
Atrovent Nasal Aqueous Spray is an anticholinergic medicine that provides year-round relief from the symptoms of a persistent runny nose, a condition known as rhinitis. Rhinitis is most commonly caused by allergies or the common cold but other stimuli may trigger the condition. Atrovent is used to treat perennial, allergic and vasomotor rhinitis. Atrovent contains 21 mcg of Ipratropium Bromide per spray. It works by decreasing the amount of watery secretions produced by the mucus glands in the nose without interfering with your sense of smell. Atrovent spray will not treat sneezing, postnasal drip or nasal congestion. To be effective, Atrovent needs to be used regularly. Atrovent spray is available in a 15ml spray bottle containing180 metered doses.
Instructions for Use
Carefully read the enclosed leaflet before using. Remove the protective dust cap from the nasal applicator. Hold the nasal spray straight upright. The first time the nasal spray is used it will need to be 'primed'. To prime the pump for use, firmly press down on the white collar. Keep pressing around 5 to 7 times until an even spray mist is released through the applicator nozzle. The nasal spray is now primed and ready for use. It will not be necessary to reprime the nasal spray unless it is disassembled or remains unused for over 24 hours.
Before using Atrovent nasal spray, gently blow you nose to help clear the nostrils. Tilt your head slightly forward and carefully insert the nasal applicator into one nostril. Breathe slowly inwards through the nostril. Hold the bottle upright and press down firmly on the white collar the required number of times to administer the correct dosage of spray. You now breathe out through you mouth. Repeat this procedure for the other nostril. After use, wipe the nozzle with a clean tissue and replace the protective dust cap once you are finished. Store Atrovent below 25 degrees Celsius but do not refrigerate or freeze. Protect from direct sunlight and store in an upright position.
- For relief of allergic or non-allergic rhinitis - Adults pump two sprays into each nostril at regular intervals two or three times a day.
- For relief of rhinitis associated with common cold - Adults take 2 sprays into each nostril followed by two additional sprays five minutes later, repeated three or four times a day. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If, however, it is almost time for your next dose when you remember, then just take your usual dose at that time.
- Children over 12 years of age pump 2 sprays into each nostril two times a day.
Warnings and Cautions
- Only use Atrovent in the nose. Avoid spraying in or around the eyes as this may cause eye pain, blurred vision or increased sensitivity to light
- Check with your doctor before you start using Atrovent if you have glaucoma, an enlarged prostate gland, difficulty passing urine or cystic fibrosis
- Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Atrovent if you are breast-feeding or pregnant, especially in the first three months of pregnancy
- Consult your doctor if you experience acute eye pain or visual disturbance
- Consult your doctor if you develop signs or symptoms of infection such as fever, nasal or facial pain or swelling, discoloured or purulent (containing pus) nasal discharge or nasal bleeding
- Do not use Atrovent if you are allergic to Ipratropium Bromide or any of Atrovent's ingredients
- Do not use Atrovent when the medicine is running out and it is not longer possible to obtain a firm spray
- Atrovent will not cause drowsiness
- Keep out of the reach of young children
- In some cases, possible side effects of this medication may include: Contact your doctor if you experience eye pain or discomfort, or sight disturbances including blurred vision, visual halos or coloured images after using Atrovent, Occasionally Atrovent can lead to dryness of the nose, mouth or throat, Nose bleeds or nasal irritation, sore throat and dry mouth may occur, Headache and nausea
Atrovent is a registered trademark of Boehringer Ingelheim and is marketed by Boehringer Ingelheim (N.Z.) Limited, Auckland.
If you are currently taking other medications, have other medical conditions, you may be pregnant, or you are breastfeeding, please contact us to talk to a pharmacist.
Currently there are no prices listed for this product. The product may be unavailable at this time, or discontinued. Please contact us to request more information.