- Complete Eye Care
- Coughs Colds & Flu
- General Health
- Pain Relief
- Quit Smoking Aids
If you'd like to be notified about new products or great deals, head to our newsletter page
Purified water, Sorbitol solution, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl alcohol, White soft paraffin, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Benzyl alcohol.
Zostrix cream contains capsaicin (0.025%), a naturally occurring substance found in plants of the Solanacae family. Research has shown that Zostrix cream works by reducing the levels of chemical (substance P), which is involved in transmitting pain impulses to the brain. Substance P is released into joints and activates other compounds involved in osteoarthritis. As Zostrix reduces the amount of substance P, it has a pain relieving effect when applied to the surface of the skin.
Ingredient information: Capsicum genus of the pepper family Capsaicin, found in the pepper, is used in topical cream products to treat painful joints. Capsaicin has been found to be of considerable benefit in relieving painful conditions. Capsaicin lowers body temperature by stimulating the cooling centre of the hypothalamus in the brain. Capsaicin may also be effective in relieving the pain of either osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.
Other ingredients of Zostrix include purified water, sorbitol solution, isopropyl myristate, cetyl alcohol, white soft paraffin, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate and benzyl alcohol
- Lightly massage a small quantity into the skin around the affected joint four times a day. These applications should be evenly spaced throughout the waking hours and not more often than every four hours. A blob just about big enough to cover your little fingernail is about right for a knee joint, less should be used for smaller joints such as fingers or a wrist.
- The cream should be gently rubbed in, there should be no residue left on the surface. You may notice a tingling or burning sensation after the cream has been applied, which is quite normal particularly in the early stages of treatment. This is a sign that the cream is working and over the first few days or weeks this effect will gradually reduce. This burning can be worse if the medicine is applied less than the recommended four times daily.
- After applying Zostrix cream wash the residue off your fingers, unless you are actually treating arthritic hand joints. Zostrix cream should not be used just after a hot bath or shower, as it can make the burning effect worse. You should begin to get pain relief within the first two weeks of treatment, but the maximum effect may take up to a month to build up as Zostrix creams works gradually.
Warnings and Cautions
- Zostrix cream is for external use only and should not come into contact with the eyes or broken or damaged skin. If it does, wash it with plenty of soap and water.
- Do not put tight bandages over Zostrix cream.
- Zostrix is not suitable for children.
Zostrix cream is manufactured by AFT Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
If you are currently taking other medications, have other medical conditions, you may be pregnant, or you are breastfeeding, please contact us to talk to a pharmacist.
Currently there are no prices listed for this product. The product may be unavailable at this time, or discontinued. Please contact us to request more information.